The Journal of Social Studies Research publishes manuscripts related to social studies education. Each submission is rigorously refereed using a double-blind peer review process with reviewers from relevant disciplines. Submit manuscripts as a file attachment to the Editor, Dr. William B. Russell III.
- Be original and type-written in English.
- Not be under consideration with any other journal.
- Be submitted via email as an email attachment; paper copies will not be accepted.
- Be in Microsoft Word format.
- Be between 18-35 pages, occasionally longer manuscripts will be considered.
- Be typed using 12-font, Times New Roman, and double-spaced.
- Adhere to the guidelines of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Include an abstract of 200 words or less.
- Include a title page with author/s contact information. If the manuscript has more than one author, please indicate which author is acting as the contact person.
- Include a statement indicating that the manuscript has not been published elsewhere and is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Include a statement stating that copyright will be given to The Journal of Social Studies Research should it be published.
The lead author of accepted manuscripts will receive one complimentary copy of the issue and a PDF version to share with co-authors. Extra print copies of the journal are available through the journal.
The Journal of Social Studies Research reserves the right to make editorial changes in style and format.
Book Review Submissions
The Journal of Social Studies Research publishes book reviews of recent book publications related to social studies research and teaching. To be considered for publication, submissions must follow the guidelines below.
- Be original and type-written in English
- Be between 1000-1500 words–although longer or shorter submissions will be considered
- Adhere to the guidelines of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA) 6th edition
- Include complete (APA) citation and ISBN # for book reviewed
- Not be under consideration with any other journal
- Be submitted via email as an attachment with “JSSR Book Review Submission” in subject line to
Anthony Pellegrino at email@example.com